Monday, December 7, 2020


Barely 24 hours after the presentation of the N339bn 2021 Appropriation bill titled: 'Budget of Recovery and Sustainability' by the State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun to the legislative arm for consideration, the bill has scaled second reading after the State lawmakers had a robust debates on the desirability of the bill during today's plenary presided over the Speaker, Olakunle Oluomo, at the Assembly Complex, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta.

The members at today's plenary began the consideration of the Appropriation Bill; with a renewed assurance of sustaining of the 'January-December budget cycle', hence, the need for the residents of the State to take cognizance of its implementation in all sectors of the State economy. 

The lawmakers took turn to contribute to debate during the second reading process and unanimously supported the bill shortly after the motion for its second reading was moved by the Majority Leader, Yusuf Sheriff, seconded by the Chief Whip, Atinuke Bello and supported by the Whole House, through a voice vote.

The bill with the long title: "HB NO.59 /OG/ 2020- Year 2021 Appropriation Bill- A Bill for the Appropriation of the Sum of One Hundred and Forty-One Billion, Seven Hundred and Four Million, Seven Hundred and Seventy-Five Thousand, Six Hundred and Ninety-Seven Naira, Fifty-Four Kobo only for Recurrent Expenditure, Twenty Billion, One Hundred and Eighty-Two Million, Nine Hundred and Ten Thousand, Five Hundred and Ninety-Three Naira, Four Kobo only for Servicing of pensions and Gratuities and One Hundred and Seventy-Six Billion, Seven Hundred and Twenty-Three Million, Two Hundred and Fifty-Six Thousand, Seven Hundred and Thirty-One Naira, Twenty Kobo only for Capital Expenditure for Services of Ogun State Government Nigeria for the Financial Year Ending Thirty-First Day of December, Two Thousand and Twenty-One”.

In their separate submissions, members including Olakunle Sobunkanla, Ganiyu Oyedeji, Modupe Mujota, Damilola Soneye and Abdul Bashir Oladunjoye, opined that the immediate consideration of the bill by the Assembly was imperative to ensure best global legislative practices to improve the State economy, due to the adverse effect of the global pandemic on the economy; commending the allocation of 48% to recurrent expenses and the remaining 52% of the budget to capital expenditure meant to complete all existing projects and the implementation of new ones across the State.

Also, Honourables Atinuke Bello, Adegoke Adeyanju, Adams Isaac, Abayomi Fasuwa and Yusuf Sheriff, expressed optimism that the effective implementation of the budget proposal was capable of turning-around all sectors of the State economy, especially health, education, social security and youth empowerment in addition to infrastructural development resulting in robust economy, while canvassing  the support of their colleague-lawmakers towards ensuring the timely passage of the bill.

Responding, Speaker Olakunle Oluomo, while commending his colleagues for their robust contributions towards  ensuring an all-inclusive bill for the socio-economic advancements of the State, added that the 9th Assembly would continue to collaborate with the executive arm towards ensuring the sustainability of January-December budget cycle. 

Oluomo thereafter committed the bill to the House Committee on Finance and Appropriation for further legislative actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment